If you spend 6 years training to play professional tennis, and when it comes game time, the dimensions of the tennis court have changed…That could present a big problem.
- Respect. How you are treated and spoken to should be established from friendship. If they disrespect you in the friend stage, I am not sure how much better that will become overtime, without you stopping that dead in it’s tracks and communicating your concerns.
- Affection. The amount of affection you desire, should also be established early on. If you are very affectionate, most times, that need doesn’t decrease, but may increase as the relationship grows more serious and you all learn more about each other.
- Family Interaction. How a person interacts with your family is very important. Now, there is always a chance that those relationships could change, but many times, that’s based on how much you tell them. (That is a personal decision)
- Money Management. This is a very important one! Poor money managers CAN change, but guess what it takes? You guessed it. A change in how they manage it. I know it sounds redundant, but if they have acknowledged the problem and are taking serious steps to change it, let them know you appreciate it. THAT LADIES AND GENTS IS A DRIVEN AND DETERMINED PERSON WILLING TO MAKE SACRIFICES FOR SUCCESS.
- Social Activities. Does your friend and potential mate like clubbing, bars, plays, book stores, sports events, shopping, spending time online, spending time with friends or family? Most times, it takes an ACT OF GOD to change a person’s likes or dislikes socially, or sometimes priorities change, but try not to bank on this changing too much.
- Religious Beliefs. Church, church and participation, no church. A person definitely has the potential to grow greatly in the realm of religion and practices, but as far as assuming they will, or assuming they will change religions for you…Don’t assume that. When we grow up in a certain religion, changing has huge ramifications.
- Personality Type. This is a BIG one. Many times a person’s sense of humor, outgoing or introverted nature, friendliness, work ethic, etc., don’t change too much! I would have included confidence, but I have seen really, apprehensive people become very secure and confident.
- Cleanliness. I am not sure how much consistently cleaner, people become overtime, but this is a lot of times, what you see, is what you get. Never count it out though. It may change.
- Romance/Thoughtfulness. I haven’t seen this change too much. Many times thoughtful people don’t become unthoughtful and unthoughtful people don’t often become thoughtful, without work, work, work! Don’t expect a non-romantic person to become Mr or Mrs. Romance after marriage.
- Opposite Sex Friendships. In some cases, this number may be expected to decrease exponential over time, the closer you get to marriage.
- Privacy. This is a biggie. Very important to discuss along the way. Can mail be opened? Can phones/emails be checked/answers? Should passwords be given? There is ABSOLUTELY, no wrong or right answer, but definitely worth discussing.
- Curfew. I have seen this be a big issue. Please Please Please discuss throughout your relationship. A lot of people view it as respect and a lot look at it as, “I haven’t had a curfew since high school…”
Clear, consistent, and concise communication throughout every level of your relationship, may be just what you need to reach that 60 year, Diamond anniversary!